Why eduroam on the Go?
Our researchers and staff were experiencing connection challenges whenever they were working in various places that were out of the coverage of the Metro eduroam hotspots.
eduroam on the Go is an evolution from the on-campus eduroam, a free global Wi-Fi roaming service for the Research and Education (R&E) community which allows logins using a distributed database. The logins are based on the usernames and passwords from a user’s home institution database. Having been first deployed on institutional campuses since 2015 when it was first launched in Uganda, eduroam first evolved into Metro eduroam that was launched in September 2020 in form of multiple eduroam hotspots deployed in various locations within the towns and cities across Uganda. eduroam further evolved into eduroam on the Go, the pocket-size router that enables the users to access eduroam Wi-Fi Anytime, Anywhere.
What are the benefits of using eduroam on the Go?
- Fulltime access to eduroam and the Internet: eduroam on the Go gives you access to eduroam and the Internet Anytime, Anywhere. This means you are connected 24/7. Researchers, for example, are able to exchange data while in the field or work away from office.
- Free, Secure, Trusted: eduroam on the Go bears all the characteristics of eduroam, i.e., it is FREE, SECURE, and TRUSTED. It is secure and trusted because it works with the authentication infrastructure and databases of a user’s home institution.
- Secure remote access to institutional resources: From e-books to office databases, eduroam on the Go gives researchers and university staff secure remote access to their institutional resources Anytime, Anywhere.
- Unlimited access: With eduroam on the Go, you no longer need to worry about your data bundles running out – it is unlimited!
- Portability: The device is portable and user-friendly. It can fit in your pocket or bag.
- Mobility: You can move with eduroam on the Go wherever you go. Think of it as your “mobile eduroam hotspot”. In other words, you can access secure and trusted connectivity Anytime, Anywhere.
Who is eligible?
The service is available to only the staff members of RENU member institutions.